6.6L Duramax Glow Plug Controller
Duramax Glow Plug Controller Diagnostics & Replacement Procedures
The 2006 to 2012 6.6L Duramax diesel utilizes a typical glow plug system featuring 8 individual glow plugs; 1 dedicated glow plug per cylinder. The system is somewhat unique, however, in that the glow plug controller on these engines supplies power to each glow plug individually, i.e. the current supply to one glow plug may be greater than or less than that supplied to another because each glow plug is energized by a dedicated transistor located in the controller.
Applicable model years: 2006 - 2012 Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra w/ 6.6L Duramax diesel (LBZ, LMM, LML)
6.6L Duramax glow plug: ACDelco 9G
2006-2007 Duramax (LBZ) glow plug controller: GM 98041624
2007 - 2010 Duramax (LMM) glow plug controller: GM 98089571
2011 - 2012 Duramax (LML) glow plug controller: GM 12652111
Click any thumbnail to view fullsize, detailed image
• Disconnect both negative batteries cables.
• Locate the glow plug controller to the driver side of the turbocharger near the firewall.
• Remove the glow plug power feed connector (round connector, left side of glow plug controller) by pressing the two ridged segments of connector shell and pulling away from and out of the glow plug controller.
• Remove the rectangular glow plug connector by first locating and releasing the slide lock. Slide the lock towards the driver side of the vehicle until the connector can be pulled off away from the controller.
• Remove the (2) bolts to the left and right of the glow plug controller using a 10 mm socket, then lift the glow plug controller from off the bracket.
• Reinstallation of the glow plug controller is reverse - torque the (2) glow plug controller bolts to 89 in-lbs (inch pounds, NOT foot pounds).